CODE OF CONDUCT
As a Trustee (also known as member of Council) of the Society of Reproduction and Fertility (SRF), I promise to abide by the fundamental values that underpin all activities of this organisation. These are as follows:
Decisions and actions taken by SRF Council members will be able to stand the test of scrutiny by members and the public and will meet our charitable purposes.
Integrity and honesty
These will underpin all conduct when dealing with colleagues within the SRF, its Journals, associated societies, members, service recipients, suppliers, contractors and employees.
The SRF strives to maintain an atmosphere of openness and transparency throughout the organisation.
Additionally, I agree to the following points:
Law, mission, policies
- I will act with reasonable care and skill within the Articles of Association of the SRF (Appendix 1) and abide by the policies and procedures of the organisation.
- I will not break the law or go against charity regulations (Appendix 2) or restrictions imposed by the Companies Act. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-companies-act-2006-guidance-for-charities.
- I will respect organisational, board and individual confidentiality whilst on the board and after my term of office terminates.
- I will support the objects and mission of the SRF and act as their guardian and champion.
Conflicts of interest
- I will always strive to act in the best interests of the organisation as a whole and not as a representative of any group, considering what is best for the SRF and its present and future beneficiaries.
- I will declare any conflict of interest, or any circumstance that I perceive might be viewed by others as a conflict of interest to the Chair or Vice Chair, as soon as it arises and take appropriate action to remove myself where relevant.
Person to person
- Treat all with respect and dignity.
- SRF council members hold a privileged position of power and trust. I will not abuse my position of power in any way.
- I will contribute to a working environment characterised by mutual respect, integrity, dignity and non-discrimination.
- I will ensure that my conduct, relationships and behaviour are not exploitative, abusive or corrupt in any way, and I will not engage in any form of abuse or exploitation of any persons of any age, including but limited to race, creed, religion, color, socioeconomic status, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, gender or pregnancy.
- I will not break the law, go against charity regulations or act in disregard of organisational policies in my relationships with fellow trustees, staff, volunteers, members, service recipients, contractors or anyone I come into contact within my role as trustee.
- I will strive to establish respectful, collegial and courteous relationships.
- I will use organisational resources responsibly. I will document expenses and seek reimbursement according to procedure.
At Council Meetings
- I will strive to:
- accept my responsibility to ensure that the SRF is well run and will raise issues and questions in an appropriate way to ensure that this is the case.
- attend all board meetings.
- study the agenda and other information prior to the meeting.
- engage in debate and voting, maintaining a respectful attitude toward the opinions of others while making my voice heard.
- I will continually seek ways to improve board governance practice to further or support the Charity’s purposes considering the long-term and short-term impact of any decision.
Leaving the board
- I understand that substantial breach of any part of this code may result in my removal from the trustee board.
- Should procedures be put in motion that may result in my being asked to resign from the board, I will be given the opportunity to be heard. In the event that I am asked to resign as a trustee, I will accept the majority decision of the trustees and resign immediately.
Appendix 1 SRF Articles of Association
Appendix 2 Charity Commission Guidance for Trustees
Declaration by Charity Trustee
Name of Charity: Society for Reproduction and Fertility
Charity reference number: 261433
Date registered: 4 August 1970
Place registered: The Charity Commission for England & Wales
In accepting this appointment I certify that:
- I am willing to act as a charity trustee in respect of the above named organisation.
- I am not disqualified from acting as a charity trustee, for example, because of unspent convictions for dishonesty offences.
- I understand the responsibilities involved in running a charity and will run the charity in accordance with Articles of Association of the Charity and the guidelines set out in the Charity Commission leaflet ‘The Essential Trustee what you need to know’.
- I undertake to discharge my duties and to regulate my conduct in accordance with the requirements of this Code.
|Date of birth|
|Last name (surname)|
|Full private address|
|Address line 1|
|Address line 2|
|Address line 3|
|Address line 4|
|Mobile (Cell) number|
Return to : Email: SRF@Conferencecollective.co.uk
SRF Secretariat, c/o The Conference Collective Ltd, 8 Waldegrave Road, Teddington, Middlesex TW11 8HT, UK.